Air conditioners are a modern luxury that have become a necessity in every home and business in the area. Summer temperatures can soar in the Pembroke Pines region and when you couple that with the high humidity, it can add up to uncomfortable conditions. Finding a reliable AC contractor is critical to helping you make it through the summer. At Temp Engineering, our skilled teams are ready to help you with any of your air conditioning issues. Evaporator coil maintenance and repairs can make a huge difference when it comes to keeping your air conditioner running. Our reliable technicians are ready to help you diagnose and fix yours!
Looking for more information on evaporator coil leaks? AC refrigerant leak repair may be exactly what you need.
What is an Evaporator Coil?
The evaporator coil is the heart of an air conditioner. It is a part of a closed-loop system that recycles refrigerants to cool your home or business. The evaporator coil is tucked neatly inside the air handler unit of your central air conditioning system. As refrigerant flows into it, it is allowed to rapidly expand.
This causes the evaporator coil to cool to near-freezing temperatures. As the coil is cooled, warm and moist air passes over it and becomes cool and dry. The cooled air is distributed around the house while the warmed refrigerant is pumped outside to start the cycle over again.
The Importance of AC Evaporator Coil Cleaning
A clean evaporator coil is essential to have an efficient air conditioner. Any dust or dirt that is allowed to accumulate interferes with the transfer of heat between the refrigerant and circulating air, decreasing comfort and increasing energy bills. For this reason, Temp Engineering offers evaporator coil cleaning.
Things that can cause an evaporator coil to become dirty can be:
- Not Replacing Filters: Air filters are specifically in place to protect the evaporator coil. When they aren’t replaced often enough or with high enough quality filters, dirt and dust can move past them and stick to the evaporator coil.
- High Dust Environments: High dust can come from many sources. In a commercial setting, dust can be a real threat to evaporator coils. In a home, pets are often the main contributors to grime that builds up on coils.
- Bacteria or Mold Growth: Evaporator coils are in dark and moist environments, perfect for bacterial and mold growth. Routine cleanings can keep these nasty critters from blocking airflow as well as circulating through ductwork and in the air.
Have cooling issues outside of your coils? Be sure to ask about our AC repair services to get your system back up and running.
Signs You May Need Evaporator Coil Repair or Replacement
Evaporator coils are buried inside the air conditioning system so most homeowners aren’t even aware of their existence. As a result, recognizing that an evaporator coil needs repairs has to be done by looking for signs. Some of the signs that an evaporator coil needs attention are:
- Frequent Leaks: Older evaporator coils are prone to leaking out refrigerant. Refrigerant leaks can be costly since the chemicals to refill the coil are expensive. If your coil has sprung a leak, repair or replacement are the only options to keep the system running.
- High Cooling Bills: Coils that are old, damaged, or clogged inhibit the efficient transfer of heat between air and the coil. This will inevitably lead to high energy bills. A new coil can drastically increase efficiency and comfort in a home or business that has felt uncomfortable for a while.
- Water Leaks: When refrigerant is low or portions of a coil are blocked, the coil can freeze over. When this happens leaks can become a real problem as the ice thaws. A Temp Engineering technician can diagnose the problem and make repairs or replace the coil altogether.
We work on all major brands including Trane, Carrier, Lennox, and Goodman. Our technicians can decide whether repairs will be best or if evaporator coil replacement is the only option. Trust the experts at Temp Engineering to do the job right!